Search Our Catalog: 
About the Lehigh Public Library

In 1927 the Campfire Girls, with Marie Peel as their leader, were given permission by the Lehigh City Counsel to use the 2 unoccupied rooms above the Post Office as a City Library. The girls & their leader spent many hours cleaning the rooms to make them suitable for their project. When the area was read a book drive was launched. Everyone in town contributed books also tables and chairs were given, some of the men made chairs from orange crates donated by the merchants. The Lumber yard gave planks that the girls used to make shelves. It became a city wide project. Elsie Goodrich was the first Librarian and Ollie Johnson was the second one. In 1963, when the old post office was torn down to make room for the new one, the City Hall which had occupied the 2 front upstairs rooms was temporarily housed in what is now the Museum. And the library was stored there until the new Post office was completed. Then the library moved to the basement of the new building and the Lehigh Women's Club took it on as their project. Some of the books were lost when there was a flood. In 1976 the new Municipal Building was erected and the library had a new and permanent home. Recently renovated and with new wireless laptops, the Lehigh Public Library is fully equipped to meet the needs of its patrons now and in the future.

241 Elm St. Lehigh, IA 50557  |  Phone 515-359-2967
Powered by: YouSeeMore © The Library Corporation (TLC)