About Us

The first Lake Mills Public Library was housed in the Women's Christian Temperance Union building. This was a small library and did not exist very long. Miss Susan Todd was the main instigator for a new library. In 1922, the Women's Clubs of Lake Mills began to have teas, a book shower and many benefits. In 1925, a new town hall was needed and the women agreed to support the measure if a space for a library would be provided. The town hall and library were erected on Main Street. In 1965, the library board and City decided the space in town hall was too small and requested a grant from the Kinny-Lindstrom Foundation for 12,000. In August, 1967, construction of a new brick library building was begun on Lake Street. It was completed on March 25, 1966 at a cost of $28,000. Twenty years later, the community had outgrown the library and decided to add on to the present building. The new section of the library was completed in early September of 1985.

The Lake Mills Public Library serves as an educational and popular materials center for all residents of the community. Each patron will have free and equal access to information, materials and up-to-date technology, provided in a wide variety of formats, to stimulate an appreciation for lifelong learning.

Use Our Library
Use Our Library

Find answers to questions

Join the Book Club

Fax something

For Adults

For Children

Use the Genealogy Collection

Borrow from another library

Your Library Card

Take a proctored exam


Use a Computer


Public Library Boards in Iowa
Public Library Boards in Iowa


Our Community
Our Community

Our City


Books and Reading
Books and Reading

Book Reviews



Science Fiction

Historical Fiction



102 S Lake St. Lake Mills, IA 50450  |  Phone: 641-592-0092
Powered by: YouSeeMore © The Library Corporation (TLC)