Wireless Internet Policy
Yes. Wireless is available in all branches, subject to the following:
RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF USERS OF OCPL WIRELESS INTERNET NETWORK
Use of OCPL’s Wireless Network specifically, but without limitation, constitutes the users agreement to the following Policy:
OCPL WIRELESS INTERNET ACCESS ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
The Oconee County Public Library (“OCPL”) offers unfiltered wireless access (Wi-Fi) for library patrons to use with their own personal notebooks, laptops, and other mobile devices. Handouts are available at the circulation desk with basic information about the service.
Wireless access is available to both library patrons and visitors. A library card is not currently required. There are no age requirements or restrictions: however, parents or guardians of children under 18 years of age should take responsibility in supervising their children’s proper and safe use of the Internet.
• Wireless users are subject to existing library policies concerning computer/Internet use and public behavior where applicable. Use of OCPL’s public wireless networks constitutes the user’s agreement to and acceptance of all such policies, including these. The OCPL reserves the right to restrict or terminate access of any user to any OCPL network at any time for any reason, or no reason. OCPL will not be liable for any risk or liability for any such termination. Use of OCPL’s Networks specifically, but without limitation, constitutes the users agreement to such policies.
• All OCPL wireless access points are accessible only during normal library hours.
• OCPL’s public wireless networks are filtered according to state and Federal regulations (See “Internet Safety Policy” in our Internet Use policy). However, users are responsible for safeguarding their own personal devices. Use of the wireless connection is done at the patron’s own risk. The Library is not responsible for ensuring your privacy or the safety of your data or hardware while connected to our wireless network.
• Access to the wireless network is on a first-come, first-served basis. During high-use periods, access may be slow or unavailable. There are a limited number of electrical outlets available within the Library branches. Patrons are encouraged to bring back-up batteries for mobile device use.
• The Library accepts no responsibility for any software downloaded and/or installed, email opened, or sites accessed while patrons are on the wireless internet connection. Patron specifically agrees to release the County of Oconee and the Oconee County Public Library from all liabilities associated with the viewing of, use of, or exposure to any information while using the wireless network, or associated with the use of the wireless network, generally.
• Library staff are available to provide general information or handouts for connecting your device to the wireless network, but cannot troubleshoot problems related to your wireless device or assist in setting up wireless internet on your computer. Nor can Library staff make any changes to your device’s network settings and/or hardware configuration. The Library cannot guarantee that your device will work with the Library’s wireless access points.
• Printing access is not available via the wireless connection. If you need to print, please save your work to a USB flash drive, or email files to yourself, then login to a wired library workstation and send jobs to the public printer (printing costs $0.10 a page for black ink, and $0.50 per page for color prints).
• Parents or guardians, not the Library or its staff, are solely responsible for the internet information selected and /or accessed by their children. The OCPL and its staff will not monitor nor enforce such access.
• The Library does not actively monitor your connection; however, users who are discovered, by staff or other patrons, to be viewing inappropriate content or performing illegal activities, may be asked to cease using the wireless network or leave the building, and may be reported to the proper authorities.