Holiday Cards for the Troops
The Walhalla Library will be hosting a card making party on Tuesday, November 19, at 6 pm. Refreshments, supplies and holiday joy will be provided. All ages welcome!
If you can’t attend this event, you can still participate by making cards at home. All branches of OCPL will be accepting greeting cards for US Military personnel from now until December 1.
Every card received will be screened for hazardous materials by Pitney Bowes and then reviewed by Red Cross volunteers working around the country.
Please observe the following guidelines to ensure a quick reviewing process:
· Ensure that all cards are signed.
· Use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member.” Cards addressed to specific individuals can not be delivered through this program.
· Only cards are being accepted. Do not send or include letters.
· Do not include email or home addresses on the cards: the program is not meant to foster pen pal relationships.
· Do not include inserts of any kind, including photos: these items will be removed during the reviewing process.
· Please refrain from choosing cards with glitter or using loose glitter as it can aggravate health issues of ill and injured warriors.
· If you are mailing a large quantity of cards, please bundle them and place them in large mailing envelopes or flat rate postal shipping boxes. Each card does not need its own envelope, as envelopes will be removed from all cards before distribution.