Area Schools and Colleges
Art and Music
- Federal Resources for Educational Excellence in the Arts
- FREE makes it easier to find teaching and learning resources from the federal government. More than 1,500 federally supported teaching and learning resources are included from dozens of federal agencies. New sites are added regularly.
- Historic American Sheet Music
- Duke University’s the Historic American Sheet Music Project provides access to digital images of 3042 pieces from the collection, published in the United States between 1850 and 1920.
- Instrument Encyclopedia
- Beginning with more than 140 artifacts from the Stearns Collection at the University of Michigan, this resource features musical instruments from around the world.
- Texas Film Commission
- The Film Commission has been supporting the media industries of Texas, and helping increase Texas's competitive position worldwide as a production destination.
- Better Business Bureau
- Search for a business or charity accredited by the BBB.
- Business and Nonprofit Forms
- Forms from the Texas Secretary of State.
- Business Research
- The Office of the Governor provides support with economic and demographic data, analyses and information on industries and communities.
- The official business link to the U.S. government.
- Center for Retailing Studies
- The Center for Retailing Studies at Texas A&M bridges the academic and business communities through education, research, and service.
- A service of CNN, Fortune, & Money
- Economic Indicators
- The U.S. Census Bureau’s Economic Indicators
- Search for file registration statements, periodic reports, and other forms from the United States Securities and Exchange Commission
- Electronic State Business Dailey
- From the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. Search for State and Local Government bids on commodities over $25,000 and services over $100,000.
- The Hoover's website features information on corporations and organizations.
- Office of Women’s Business Ownership
- The Office of Women’s Business Ownership (OWBO) exists to establish and oversee a network of Women’s Business Centers (WBCs) throughout the United States and its territories.
- SBDCNet National Information Clearinghouse
- The mission of the Small Business Development Center National Information Clearinghouse (SBDCNet) is to meet the information needs of the SBDC community in the United States and its territories.
- Small Business Association Library and Resources
- SBA's resource library provides an abundance of information to assist you in many different areas of running your business. sourcelibrary/index.html
- Texas Department of Insurance
- Insurance information from the State of Texas. Find information on agents and agencies licensed with the state of Texas,
- U.S. Copyright Office
- Information about online copyright registration; publications; links to the United States copyright law; a link to online copyright records.
- US Patent and Trademark Office
- The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) is the Federal agency for granting U.S. patents and registering trademarks.
- USEC Investor Information
- The SEC’s Office of Investor Education and Advocacy provides a variety of services and tools to address the problems and questions you may face as an investor.
Citation and Style Guides
- APA Style
- Free tutorial to learn the basics of APA style
- Consumer Action
- The Consumer Action Website is maintained and updated by the Federal Citizen Information Center. Features consumer news and topics, how to file a complaint, how to order free publications
- A consumer information site from the United States government.
- Federal Citizen Information Center
- A source for answers to questions about consumer problems and government services.
- National Consumer Law Center
- The National Consumer Law Center is a nonprofit advocacy organization that seeks to build economic security and family wealth for low-income and other economically disadvantaged Americans.
- Texas Department of Insurance Consumer Protection
- Insurance information from the state of Texas.
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
- The CPSC protects the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from thousands of types of consumer products. Get free recall and safety news by email
- Academic Excellence Indicator System
- Access AEIS reports for every public school, district, or region of Texas.
- Accountability Ratings System for Texas Public Schools and Districts
- From the state’s Texas Education Agency
- Compendium of Texas Colleges and Financial Aid Calculator
- Contains a list of colleges and universities in the State of Texas, admission requirements, total expenses for an academic year, financial aid data and related information, helpful hints to the college bound, together with a calendar of various scholarship deadlines arranged by months.
- The Educational Testing Service administers the GRE, TOEFL, TOEIC, and the Praxis tests.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Online FAFSA application.
- GED Testing Service, a program of the American Council on Education, develops, delivers and safeguards the GED Tests.
- Region 7 Education Service Center
- Region 7 ESC, covering Anderson County, is one of 20 regional education service centers statewide that participates in the planning, development, coordination, implementation and evaluation of innovative educational programs.
- School District Locator
- Find school district boundaries and school locations from the Texas Education Agency.
- Texas Childcare
- Find and compare child care at the Texas Department of Family and and Protective Services website.
- Texas Common Application
- Website where students can apply for admission to any Texas public university, as well as to participating community and private colleges; apply for scholarships from participating universities, apply for housing with participating universities.
- THEA: Texas Higher Education Assessment
- Students can register for the THEA and find test information.
- US Department of Education Office of Postsecondary Education
- OPE formulates federal postsecondary education policy and administers programs supporting its mission to increase access to quality postsecondary education.
- USDE Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services
- The Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS) is committed to improving results and outcomes for people with disabilities of all ages
Election and Politics
- League of Women Voters
- The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
- Texas Secretary of State Elections and Voter Information
- The Secretary serves as Chief Election Officer for Texas, assisting county election officials and ensuring the uniform application and interpretation of election laws throughout Texas
- American FactFinder
- From the Census Bureau. Population, housing, economic, and geographic data
- Publishes thousands of free online classics of reference, literature and nonfiction.
- CIA World Factbook
- Provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 266 world entities
- Elements of Style
- Principal requirements of plain English style. Focuses on the rules of usage in literature, composition and grammar.
- Internet Movie Database (IMDB)
- Online database of information related to movies, television shows, actors, production crew personnel, video games.
- Library of Congress Country Studies
- Description and analysis of the historical setting and the social, economic, political, and national security systems and institutions of countries throughout the world.
- Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions
- Merriam Webster
- Online dictionary and thesaurus
- Official U.S. Time
- From the National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Project Gutenberg
- TDSHS Audiovisual Library
- Search for video (DVD, VHS), slide-tape, audio CD, and CD-ROM programs on health and safety education topics. These materials are available on a free loan (up to 10 days) basis to residents of the state of Texas.
- Texas Bureau of Vital Statistics
- Texas birth, death, marriage, divorce records
- TV Guide
- Find local TV listings, watch full episodes of your favorite TV Shows and read the latest breaking news on TV shows, celebrities and movies.
- Unit Conversion
- Free online unit converters to easily convert between different units of measurement.
- Virtual Reference Shelf
- Selected online sources for research from the Library of Congress
- Zip Code Lookup
- Find a zip code by entering an address
Government and Law
- Anderson County, Texas
- The official homepage of Anderson County, Texas
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
- CFDA contains detailed program descriptions for 2,078 Federal assistance programs.
- City of Palestine, Texas
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Search the CFR by keyword, citation, title, or volume
- Core Documents of U.S. Democracy
- Read the basic Federal Government documents that define the United States of America’s democratic society.
- East Texas Council of Governents – Anderson County
- Councils of Governments (COGs) are voluntary associations of local governments formed under Texas law. The East Texas Council of Governments serves the following fourteen counties in the East Texas region.
- Provides access to the full range of official statistical information produced by the Federal Government
- Site for free legal information.
- GPO Access
- GPO Access is a service of the U.S. Government Printing Office that provides free electronic access to information produced by the Federal Government.
- Internal Revenue Service
- Access IRS forms and publications.
- League of Women Voter’s of Texas
- The league publishes the Voters Guide to inform voters of the qualifications of candidates in statewide elections and sponsors televised debates between gubernatorial candidates.
- Contains profiles for over one million lawyers and firms in the United States, Canada and 160 other countries.
- National Archives
- The National Archives and Records Administration serves American democracy by safeguarding and preserving the records of our Government, ensuring that the people can discover, use, and learn from this documentary heritage.
- Office of the Governor
- The website of Texas Governor Rick Perry
- State Bar of Texas
- Provides free legal information and a search to find a lawyer.
- Texas Association of Counties
- The Texas Association of Counties (TAC) is a sole representative voice for all Texas Counties and county officials
- Texas Courts Online
- the portal to Texas Judicial pages.
- Texas Department of Agriculture
- Access to forms, laws and regulations, reports, publications from the TDA
- Texas Department of Public Safety Sex Offender Registry
- Official internet public access to the DPS sex offender registration computerized central database.
- Texas Homeland Security
- Provides information on how every Texas family can take simple steps to help prepare for any type of emergency.
- Texas Legislature Online
- Search for bills, information about the House and Senate.
- Texas Legislature Online
- Find information about the Texas House and Senate. Find bills, amendments, and reports.
- Texas Lottery Commission
- Check your numbers. Search for retailers selling tickets.
- Texas Parks and Wildlife
- Find a Texas State park and information on fishing, boating, hunting and wildlife.
- Texas State Directory
- The premier source for state, county and city elected officials.
- Texas Tax Forms
- Frequently used Texas tax forms.
- Texas Taxes
- Information on taxes and fees, filing and paying, tax news, tax resources.
- Texas Water Development Board
- Information about the state’s water resources.
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Pamphlets, videos, and materials on legal topics.
- Legal information and forms.
- The Charters of Freedom
- Information and images on several important historical American documents including the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights
- The State of Texas
- The official website of the state of Texas.
- The White House
- Read the White House blog, press releases, speeches. View photos and videos of the President, and listen to his weekly address. Information about the Administration, the White House, and the government of the United States.
- Legislative information from the Library of Congress. Search for bills, laws, roll call votes. Browse legislation by sponsor, search the Congressional Record, search Committee Reports and treaties.
- U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services
- Find forms and file online, find information on immigration laws, resources, and news
- U.S. House of Representatives
- See schedules, access the laws of the United States, find your representative by zip code or last name, search for House committees.
- U.S. Senate
- See schedules, live video stream of the Capitol dome, search for bills. Search for senators by name, state. Find committees and subcommittees.
- Uniform Crime Reports
- Crime statistics for the United States
- United States Code
- Search the United States Code online.
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Search the patents database, search pending and registered marks, file and check status online, learn about intellectual property and copyright law.
- The United States government’s official web portal.
- Who Represents Me?
- Provides information about current districts and members of the Texas Senate, Texas House of Representatives, the Texas delegation to the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, and the State Board of Education.
Health and Medicine
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Online source for health information.
- Finding and Comparing Nursing Homes
- Resources on a wide range of health topics selected from over 1,600 government and non-profit organizations
- Medicare and You
- The official U.S. government site for Medicare.
- Health information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- National Library of Medicine
- Health information from the National Library of Medicine, the world’s largest medical library.
- From the publishers of Physician’s Desk Reference. Information on drugs and supplements, diseases and conditions.
- Texas Health Care Information Collection
- Information and data from hospitals and HMOs.
- Texas Office of Public Insurance Council
- Information about auto, credit, health and residential property insurance.
- The Merck Manual Online Medical Library
- Explains disorders, who is likely to get them, their symptoms, how they're diagnosed, how they might be prevented, and how they can be treated; also provides information about prognosis. Based on the Merck Manual.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Find information about human and veterinary drugs, biological products, medical devices, food supply, cosmetics, tobacco products. Sign up for email updates
Home and Housing
- Anderson County, Texas
- Facts from the U.S. Census Bureau
- Fannie Mae
- Information about the home buying process from the Federal National Mortgage Association.
- Ginnie Mae
- Information about the home buying process from the Government National Mortgage Association.
- Subsidized Apartment Search
- Find low-rent apartments for senior citizens and people with disabilities, as well as for families and individuals.
- Legislative Reference Library of Texas
- Search for bills and amendments, find information on legislative sessions, lists of members and leaders of the Texas Legislature
- Library of Congress
- The Library of Congress is the research library of the U.S. Congress and the de facto national library of the United States.
- Texas State Library and Archives Commission
- Find facts and information about Texas, learn about the holdings of the Texas State Archives and free library services for people with visual, physical, or reading disabilities, find genealogy and government information
News, Magazines, Media
- Neil Sperry’s Gardens
- Texas Horticultural magazine.
- Texas Fish & Game
- Provides information about hunting, fishing, conservation and wildlife.
- Texas Highways
- The travel magazine of Texas
- Texas Monthly
- Reports on politics, the environment, industry, education. Covers music, the arts, travel, restaurants, museums, and cultural events in Texas.
- Fodor’s Travel Guides
- Read Fodor's reviews to find the best travel destinations, hotels and restaurants. Plan your trip online with Fodor's.
- Internet Movie Database
- The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) is an online database of information related to movies, television shows, actors, production crew personnel, video games
- Movie Review Query Engine
- An online directory of movie reviews
- Road Conditions in Texas
- View current road conditions by specific road conditions, by county, or by roadway
- State Parks and Destinations
- The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Web site is an online connection to some of the finest outdoor recreation in the world, including hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, biking, birdwatching and much more.
Science and Technology
- Birding in Texas
- Information and links from Texas Parks and Wildlife.
- Columbia Scientific Balloon Facility
- Provide the services of launching large (400 ft. dia), unmanned, high altitude (120,000 ft.), research balloons; tracking, and recovering the scientific experiments suspended beneath them, for NASA centers and universities from all over the world.
- Common Texas Insects
- From Texas A & M University
- Images, videos and interactive features from America's space agency.
- National Weather Service
- Find local forecast by city and state
- Space Telescope Science Institute
- Astronomical research using observational instruments in space
- Texas Agrilife Extension Service
- Offers practical, how-to education based on university research. Includes list of county agents, resources, class and events schedule, and 4-H programs.
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
- The environmental agency for the state of Texas
- Texas Department of Agriculture
- State agency with agricultural marketing and regulatory responsibilities. Includes program, marketing information, farmers' markets, and producer services.
- Texas Drinking Water
- Local drinking water information from the Environmental Protection Agency
- Texas General Land Office
- History and information relating to state lands
- Texas Water Development Board
- TWDP provides leadership, planning, financial assistance, information, and education for the conservation and responsible development of water for Texas.
- U.S. Board on Geographic Names
- Search for domestic, foreign, and Antarctic geographic names
- United Nations Environment Program
- The voice for the environment in the United Nations system.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency
- The government agency charged with protecting human health and the environment
- Water Resources of Texas
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Web site for the water resources of Texas. Find information on Texas lakes, rivers, and streams.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- The principal Federal agency responsible for measuring labor market activity, working conditions, and price changes in the economy.
- Consumer Price Index
- Produces monthly data on changes in the prices paid by urban consumers for a representative basket of goods and services.
- Statistics from more than 100 federal agencies
- Statistical Abstract of the US
- Summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
- US Census Bureau
- Source of quality data about the nation's people and economy
- US State Fact Sheet
- State fact sheets provide information on population, income, education, employment, federal funds, organic agriculture, farm characteristics, farm financial indicators, top commodities, and exports, for each State in the United States.
- Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library
- The DRT Library, part of the Alamo complex, is dedicated to advancing the understanding of the unique history of the Alamo and Texas and of the lives of those who experienced it.
- Handbook of Texas Online
- A digital gateway to Texas History
- Institute of Texan Cultures
- Through research, collections, exhibits and programs, the Institute serves as the forum for the understanding and appreciation of Texas and Texans.
- Land Grant Database
- A searchable database of the state’s land grant collection which tells the story of the settlement and early history of Texas.
- Portal to Texas History
- A gateway to Texas history materials.
- Portrait of Texas Governors
- Brief biographies from theTexas State Library
- Texas Historic Site Atlas
- Features nearly 300,000 site records, including data on Official Texas Historical Markers and National Register of Historic Places properties in Texas.
- Texas Historical Commission
- The state agency for historic preservation
- Texas Navies
- The official website of the Texas Navy where you will find history, stories of the sea, interesting artifacts, and much more.
- Texas Treasures
- An online exhibit of historic artifacts and documents
- The Alamo
- Website of the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas
- The Texian Web
- A consortium of web sites dedicated to presentation of high quality material concerning pre-Civil War Texas History on the internet.
US Government Departments
US Govt. Agencies