In 1887, the Favorite Stove and Range Company moved to Piqua from Cincinnati. The new firm became the city’s largest manufacturer. It was also the first new business to be brought to Piqua Board of Trade, a predecessor of the Chamber of Commerce. The company had a major impact on the community. Piqua became known as the “Favorite City” with several local firms also adopting Favorite as part of their name. The area west of the factory on College Street became known as Favorite Hill because houses were built on the hill for use by company employees.
Katker took over what was left of the business, renaming it the Favorite Manufacturing Company. The new firm produced coal and wood heating stoves, furnaces, hollow ware, gas cooking stoves and parts for old Favorite Stove & range Company items. Molding work for the new firm was handled by the Champion Foundry Company of Piqua. In 1937, Katker’s company employed twenty-five moulders and iron workers at the Champion plant and a dozen or so assemblers at the Weber Street plant. After World War II, demand for Favorite products diminished and by 1958 the firm suspended operations.
The Library Archives contain only a very limited number of Favorite Stove and Range Company catalogs. It is not possible for us to determine the age of a particular stove or range by its model number.