The mission of the West Plains Public Library is to assure the preservation, acquisition and dissemination of knowledge for the future of West Plains. To accomplish this mission, the public library will:
- Support individuals of all ages in their pursuit of independent learning by providing materials that educate, enrich, inform and entertain;
- Encourage enthusiasm for reading and appreciation of literature; and
- Provide a means of access to the world of information.
The library will be closed the following days:
- New Year's Day - January 1
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - Third Monday in January
- President's Day - Third Monday in February
- Memorial Day - Last Monday in May
- Independence Day - July 4
- Labor Day - First Monday in September
- Veteran's Day - November 11
- Thanksgiving Day - Last Thursday in November
- Day following Thanksgiving - Last Friday in November
- Christman Eve - December 24
- Christmas Day - December 25
The West Plains Public Library places a high value on volunteers and their dedication to public service. We depend on volunteers and the contributions of time, skills and commitment that they give. As a result, we consider it important that our volunteers meet certain standards of the library.
Definition of a volunteer: Volunteers are identified as persons who regularly perform duties or tasks for the library without wages or benefits other than Workers' Compensation. The volunteers described in this policy are independent from the Friends of the Library volunteers who are governed by their own policies and bylaws.