About Us

History
The library was started by the Rockwell Woman's Club in 1902. The club members felt the need for a library and would loan books to each other. Mrs. Grace McClelland, a member of the club, donated the use of a small building on Third Street to be used as a library. The first library opened in December 1913. Books were donated by various families and service was received from the Iowa State Traveling Library. Mrs. McClelland was the librarian for 17 years. After her retirement, Catherine Grummon Kent and many members of the Woman's Club volunteered their time. The first paid librarian was Mrs. Jessie Piersol in 1950. She was paid $6.00 a month. With the expansion of library services, the need for a bigger building became apparent. With the help of Patterson-James Funeral Home, Rockwell Lions Club, the Woman's Club and other members of the community, a new library building opened on November 21, 1964 next to the original building on Third Street. Once again the need arose for more space. The Rockwell Public Library Board of Trustees raised funds and purchased a building on Main Street. With the help of the City Council, many organizations, members of the community and foundations, the money was raised to renovate the building. The building was opened to the public on July 1995. The library is presently located at this location.

Mission
The Rockwell Public Library provides materials and services to help community residents obtain information meeting their personal and educational needs. The library strives to support students at all academic levels and to stimulate youth interests and appreciation for reading and learning while also meeting the needs of the adult population.

Library Board
Public Library Boards in Iowa

Library Trustees
Library Trustees

 

Reference
Teens

 

307 Main St. E. Rockwell, IA 50469  |  Phone: 641-822-3268
Powered by: YouSeeMore © The Library Corporation (TLC)